Crianlarich (A'Chrion Laraich) is the junction of the Oban and Fort William lines. Most daytime train services have Oban and Fort William portions, which join or split at Crianlarich. The small village has hotels, guest houses, a local shop and bar/restaurant.
There is a popular tearoom, open during the summer, on the platform at Crianlarich station.
The old engine shed is now used by the Permanent Way engineers. Rising immediately behind, with its snowy top hidden in the clouds, is Cruach Ardrain and on the left the flank of Ben More, the highest mountain in Britain south of Strath Tay. The picture of two 'Black 5s' being prepared for the journey south on a Scottish Railway Preservation Society charter, was taken from outside the old engine shed. Click to enlarge.
Crianlarich station opened concurrently with the West Highland Railway in 1894, doubling the number of railway stations in the village. In 1953, British Rail added the suffix "Upper" to the station's name, in order to distinguish it from the nearby station (only about 300 metres' walk along the north east access road) on the Callander and Oban Line which then became known as Crianlarich Lower.
Since closure of the Callander and Oban Line east of Crianlarich in 1965 (during the Beeching cuts), all trains to Oban have been routed up the West Highland Line as far as Crianlarich Upper station. They then join the remaining part of the Oban line by means of the link line, which had formerly been infrequently used. Crianlarich Lower station also closed in 1965. Some years later, the Upper station's name reverted to "Crianlarich".
The station was laid out with a crossing loop around an island platform and sidings on both sides. On the east side were was an engine shed and a turntable. (The engine shed still exists and can be seen behind the train just entering the station). At the north end of the station, there was a junction with a link line to the Callander and Oban Railway. Originally, the junction incorporated a scissors crossover, allowing simultaneous moves through the junction.
Crianlarich main street, A85, Perth Road looking west. The Class 156 DMU is crossing the recently refurbished Fillan Viaduct and entering Crianlarich station which is situated to the right (south) of the main road.
Fort William-Glasgow train in Glen Falloch, 1/2 mile south of Crianlarich station.