Helensburgh Upper is the first station on the West Highland Line after it diverges from the electrified Glasgow suburban rail network.
Helensburgh is the largest town in Argyll and Bute, and is situated on the north bank of the Firth of Clyde. The town has many facilities including a wide range of restaurants, cafes, shops, hotels and guest houses. The famous Hill House, designed by the famous Glasgow architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh, is a five minute walk from Helensburgh Upper. Run by the National Trust for Scotland, the house is open in the afternoons from Easter to the end of October.
Passengers waiting the arrival of the 09.52 Fort William & Mallaig train and on the right the ScotRail poster which tells visitors that "The Top rail Journey in the World", as voted by 'Wanderlust' magazine, can be taken from this station.
The town of Helensburgh was founded in 1776 by Sir James Colquhoun of Luss and named in honour of his wife, Helen. The town is planned with a grid pattern of wide tree-lined streets.The first Provost of Helensburgh was Henry Bell, who introduced the first steamship in the world, the Comet, to sail from Glasgow to his hotel in Helensburgh. The Comet's flywheel is on display on the East Bay promenade.
John Logie Baird, the inventor of television, was born in the town and is commemorated by a bust on the town's seaside promenade.
(Helensburgh Central station, which is not on the West Highland Line, is a ten-minute walk from Helensburgh Upper station, and has a half-hourly service of electric trains from Glasgow).