Tyndrum (Taigh an Droma) is a small village which has developed as a popular tourist stop with cafes, restaurants, shops, bars, hotel, campsite, bunkhouse and bed and breakfasts. There is also a tourist office.
Upper Tyndrum station is an unstaffed halt on the Glasgow-Fort William line high above the village. (It was renamed from "Tyndrum Upper" to avoid confusion with "Tyndrum Lower" station on the Oban line).
The West Highland Way long distance footpath passes through Tyndrum.
Gold is mined at Cononish, two miles from the village.
Picture below has been taken from the train window as the train approaches Upper Tyndrum Station. The mountain is Ben Lui (Beinn Laoigh translates as Calf Mountain). The train climbs gradually above the road on the long ascent to the Tyndrum summit. Below and beyond the road and the first band of trees the Oban section of the West Highland Lines leads to Tyndrum Lower Station. Many of the service trains and all winter services run as a combined Oban and Fort William/Mallaig service from Glasgow and divide/couple together at Crianlarich. Passengers on either line can often observe the 'other half' of their train across the valley.
North bound Alumina train crosses the lower Auch Viaduct, 6km north of Upper Tyndrum Station, headed by a Class 66 locomotive.
4-Carraige 156 DMU Glasgow - Fort William summer service in Strath Fillan, approaching Upper Tyndrum Station.
K4, The Great Marquess, heading the Railway Touring Company's 'West Highlander' rail tour to Mallaig on Saturday 26th September 2009. The locomotive was designed by Gresley specifically for the North British line from Glasgow to Mallaig. The line imposes real challenges because of the steep gradients, tight curves and limited allowable axle weight. The K4 has 3 cylinders, a 2-6-0 wheel arrangement, 200psi boiler and a 36,598lb tractive effort. No 61994 entered service in 1938 (original LNER no. 3442) and is the only K4 in preservation. The locomotive is owned by John Cameron and located in Scotland at Thornton.