Spean Bridge (Drochaid an Aonachain) is a major village with hotels, bars, restaurants, and shops. The nearby Commando Monument commemerates the commandos who were trained in the area between 1942 and 1945. The village also stands at the junction where the A86 road to Kingussie and Aviemore meets the A82 Glasgow to Inverness road. Situated at the foot of the Grey Corries mountain range the village is well situated for walkers to enjoy the impressive views of Aonach Mor, Carn Mor Dearg and the imposing north east face of Ben Nevis, best seen from the Commando Monument mentioned above.
Scottish Railway Preservation Society Rail Tour passing through Spean Bridge Station on 9th May 2009.
Spean Bridge was the junction where the Invergarry & Fort August joined the West Highland Line. The Invergarry & Fort Augustus Line opened in 1903 and extended as far as a pier on Loch Ness. The Line had a brief history and closed to passenger traffic in 1933. It remained open, serving coal delivery and strategic requirements during the 2nd World War. It finally closed in 1947. The Invergarry Station Preservation Society is constituted to rebuild Invergarry Station and establish a museum dedicated to the line and its chequered political and financial history.